Monday, July 26, 2010

Amber's Ultimate Banana Bread




I love getting new recipes and sharing my enthusiasm for food with anyone and everyone which is why showcasing recipes from my families and friends on my food blog is perfect! I would like to introduce my cousin Amber as my guest blogger. She is responsible for my starting this food blog, and is a fabulous and avid cook too. I can't wait to try this recipe! This is a picture of her and her two little angels, Lindsey and Kya.




Amber's Kitchen

Hey there, fellow Canadians and all other readers of this blog. I would like to thank Amy for allowing me to be a guest blogger on her site. I would love to have blog of my own, but it works for me now just to contribute things when I get the time. That being said, I would also like to thank Cooks Illustrated magazine for this wonderful recipe. It is a little bit more prep time, but well worth it. Best. Banana. Bread. I. Have. Ever. Had. Enjoy!


Ultimate Banana Bread

Makes 1 9-inch loaf

1 3/4 c. (8 3/4 oz) all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 very ripe bananas (heavily speckled or even black)
1 stick of unsalted butter*, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
3/4 packed (5 1/4 oz) light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
2 tsp granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Directions:

1
Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.

2
Place 5 bananas in microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in plastic. Microwave on high for 5 minutes until bananas are soft and have released their liquid. Transfer bananas to fine mesh strainer and strain into medium bowl for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (you should have 1/2 to 3/4 c liquid)

3
Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Transfer bananas to the medium mixing bowl you used to drain bananas and add reduced liquid. Mash bananas until fairly smooth. Add butter, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla.

4
Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in walnuts if using. Pour into greased pan. Sprinkle 2 tsp of sugar evenly on top of batter.

5
Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 55 - 75 minutes. Cool pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool on wire rack.

* I used salted butter for this recipe.

PS. I had 9 very dark bananas sitting on my counter, so I doubled the recipe. Twice the delight. Hope you like it. Thank you again, Amy.




No comments:

Post a Comment